Saturday, November 17, 2007

I make great money for a babysitter

I'm 37 years old, and I work with a crew of people who are younger than I am. The youngest is 20. Lately, the crew is acting like a bunch of petulant kids. It started like this we had a wicked busy night-we had to drop 900 skids, transport them and load them. They got dropped and they got transported. We knew they would not all get loaded, but the loaders were waiting for a truck to be chocked.

The lady who does that stuff was busy as well. So the loaders and droppers start to talk, and the lady that does the paper work and stuff gets mad. 2 of the guys talking could have chocked the truck instead of waiting on her. So she gets a chance to chock it, comes back in and says you can start loading now. Loader guy says, "Oh, we're done for the day." This is at 10 to 6-work is over at 6:30. Lady gets mad and tells the manager. The next night, the manager gives the guys shit for standing around.

Now the guys get mad that we did that much work and she ratted us out for talking (yes, that is actually what these grown men said- she ratted us out. How very grade school!). "Well screw them! They're not getting more than 8hrs work from us." So than starts the crap fest; the droppers start doing a bad job which screws the transporters which means the loads get freight much slower. This goes on for 2 days.

Then the big boss comes in to our start up and says, in a nutshell, grow up or you're getting a TL. They continue acting like spoiled kids. Then I got mad because one of the droppers does a very good job for me because he knows I'm not the one they're mad at. Why does this make me mad? Because this guy used to hate me; so here is this guy that stopped hating me like 8 months ago (but probably still doesn't like me) working well for me. I got really pissed because the night before an old friend of mine did the crap drop for me.

As I have said, I have worked for this company for 11 years and I'm damn good at my job. I'm now pissing off the pissed off guys by getting the work done anyway (go me!). Their stupid plot is pointless and petty.

Yep, I make damn good money for a babysitter.


The Transporter's Prayer

The Company signs my paycheque; I shall not want.
It maketh me work with juvenile sucks. It leadth me into many clusterfucks.
It provideth me Health and Safety Training. It outlines policies and procedures in the Employee Handbook.

Yea, though I drive through the valley of childish bullshit, I will fear no crybaby,
For you pay me for this.

My center-rider and my driving skills comfort me.
Thou periodically has Employee Appreciation Barbeques with these juvenile cry-asses.
My machine is full of oil, my thermos runneth over.
Surely this childish bullshit shall follow me until I retire,
and I shall dwell in this damn warehouse until I'm 65.
Praise The Company!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh, I friggin hate all that work drama crap. Fire them all I say, that will fix the problem :).

It does kinda suck though when you realize that you've crossed the line into being one of the "grown-ups" at work :(. That said though ,you couldn't pay me enough to go back and be a 20 something :).

Optimus Prime said...

A very sad state of affairs really... In life some people will do everything the can to suceed and others will do all that they can to fail.

punkdad said...

Yup and we get to laugh at the latter