Tuesday, October 30, 2007

And then, there was hydraulic fluid everywhere!

Went to work last night, the machine I normally drive was in Maintenance. So, I took 112, my back up machine. I know they're not really my machines, but we get possessive of our equipment.

So halfway through my shift, I pick up a couple of pallets to take to the guy loading the truck, press the button for the lift, and it won't stop raising. Not good. I shut off the machine. And it still won't stop raising. Even worse! I unplug the machine. It stops raising. Now, I'm in a dilemma. I have freight on my forks which I can't lower to get off my forks. This looks like a job for...Maintenance.

I plug the machine back in, drive it to the truck, the loader and I move the freight to other pallets, all to the gentle sounds of my machine grinding away, still trying to lift. Off I go to Maintenance, with the machine still trying to lift the whole way there. The good little machine actually made it to the front door of the Maintenance Dept. where it promptly emptied itself of every fluid it had.

There was smoke, and hydraulic fluid, as my machine gently lowered itself to the ground, nothing left to hold the forks up. With one final grind and a puff of smoke, I'm pretty sure it died.

RIP, 112.

5 comments:

prin said...

hehehe, there's so much innuendo in this post. I can't resist.

"we get possessive of our equipment"... :D

And then the equipment raises up uncontrollably and the only thing that stops it is fluid spewing everywhere.

teeheehee...

Anonymous said...

Wow... I didnt even know that was possible... Sounds like it a rather odd event...

punkdad said...

Stop having dirty thoughts about my equipment

prin said...

LOL!!!

Skryker said...

Yeah, Prin, stop having dirty thoughts about his equipment!